Every year, the massive Spiel game fair in Essen highlights dozens (even hundreds) of recently released and soon-to-be-released games.
Here’s a look at 10 games featured at this years Spiel — and it was hard to narrow this list to just 10 games, because I’m leaving off plenty of games that I’m eager to try — that I’m most looking forward to.
1. Pandemic Legacy: Season 0. I playtested the first several months of this game a while ago and I’ve been eager to play it ever since.
2. Detective: Season One. I already own this, but I can’t wait to get it on the table. I love what Portal Games is doing with this series.
3. Sagrada: The Great Facades – Life. Sagrada is among my favorite games, and I’m excited to play this expansion!
4. Lost Ruins of Arnak. Anything from Czech Games Edition gets my attention, and the theme is right up my alley.
5. Under Falling Skies. See #4 above: Anything from Czech Games Edition gets my attention, and the theme is right up my alley.
6. The Shining: Escape from the Overlook Hotel. I’m not a huge fan of the film (don’t @ me), but man this game looks cool.
7. Curious Cargo. Tile placement games with interconnecting routes appeal to me, and this looks to add some creative twists to the genre.
8. Super-Skill Pinball: 4-Cade. I loved the print-and-play version of this game that designer Geoff Englestein released earlier this year, can’t wait to play the full game.
9. Clever Hoch Drei. I’ve loved the first two roll-and-writes in this series by Wolfgang Warsch.
10. 7 Wonders Duel: Agora. Playing 7 Wonders Duel on BoardGameArena has helped me appreciate its greatness. This expansion looks fantastic.